Tuesday, September 05, 2006

My Disc Golf Summer Wrap Up

Well, the summer is over. I call it quits after Labor Day. This was a good summer since I started playing disc golf again. I sport that I once played frequently and then just blew it off once I began a "baby farm" with my wife. I needed to get out of the house and start having fun for myself. When I was a single man, I played 3-5 times a week. It was a good time to go out with friends and get totally shit faced in the woods while throwing plastic. In 2001, my first son was born and stopped discing and stopped regular ball golf to help out at home. I only did the annual Ice Bowl every winter.

That is all changing. This year I added 9 new played courses to my resumee. Check my played courses out here. Of course, five years absence will really show when you start playing regularly with some local club members. I've shaved almost 10-12 strokes off of the two regular courses I play at. I started practicing and playing regularly in April. Lehigh Parkway I was shooting a 80 and now range between 67-69. Just a hair under amateur par for the course. South Mountain I was shooting a 70 and now I am even par at 54. Still could be a little better once I get some more distance. My approach shots were never an issue but putting I was horrible. Now since I bought a basket for the backyard, I don't worry too much within 30 feet.

Some other notable events this summer. I won my first Closest to the Pin at the 1st Annual Hickory Run Soltstice tourney. Shot a -6 at Harry Dunham Park in New Jersey. Sank my farthest air shot on Hole 1 Jordan Park at 159 feet.

Still waiting for my first ever ACE!!! Came oh so close at Lehigh Parkway (hole 12) and Harry Dunham (hole 12 as well). First one grazed the chains hard and the second bounced off the top of the basket.

At least three more tourneys this year for me including a Discraft Ace Race (haha) and a night time Glow Tourney on Halloween.

This year I am also thinking about biting the bullet and registering with the PDGA and tossing money at them to be recognized as a player. Pointless but will only make it cheaper for clubs that I am hoping to play PDGA events at in 2007.

No comments: